This recipe fuses Italian and Jamaican influences by combining cheesy pasta with jerk chicken. Red peppers, green peppers, and golden corn are added to represent the famous Rasta colors, then of course the all important ingredient plenty of ganja.
Ingredients For The Jerk Marinade
- 5 oz (150g) chopped onion
- 1 scotch bonnet or other chili, deseeded and chopped l
- 1 oz (30g) fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 table spoon ground all spice
- A few sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
- 1/2 table spoon ground black pepper
- 3fl oz (75ml) white wine vinegar
- 3fl oz (75 ml) dark soy sauce
- 4 chicken breasts, chopped
- 2 oz (50g) butter for extra potency)
- 1/2 cup (2oz/50g) all purpose (plain) flour
- 1 pint (500ml) canna milk
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 3 1/2 oz (100g) canned corn kernels
- 10 oz (300g) pasta
- 4 oz (120g) grated cheese
Serves 4 people
1) Put all the marinated ingredients into a food processor and blitz it until a smooth. Place the chopped chicken breasts in a dish and smother with marinade. Cover with plastic wrap (cling film) and refrigerator for at least an hour (over night if you can wait that long)
2) Bring a large pan of water to a boil ( this will be for the pasta) Meanwhile, melt the butter in another pan, add the flour, and stir until it forms a smooth paste. Then pour in the milk stirring well with a hand whisk.
3) Put the marinated chicken into a frying pan and cook over a medium heat until browned. Add the chopped peppers and corn to the frying pan and continue to cook over a medium heat.
4) Tip the pasta into boiling water and cook as per packets instructions.
5) Meanwhile, slowly bring the sauce to a boil, stirring continuously until it thickens. Remove the pan from the heat and stir it into the cheese.
6) When the pasta is ready, the chicken is fully cooked, add the peppers and soft drain the pasta and mix them all together, ready to be served.